Saturday, March 23, 2013

1st Day of Spring = Seed starting

Gardens planning for both indoors and outdoors?
Yep, I used a spreadsheet.   Like I'd use anything else?



While spending the last couple of months dreaming through seed catalogs, I catalog all that I wanted, the name, the price, the number of seeds per packet, the days to germination, guessed when I wanted to have produce and worked my way backwards to when I'd need to start the seed.

My biggest catalog order came from http://www.seedsavers.org/
  

Now that the seed packets have arrived, let the fun begin!!!

According to the spreadsheet, sorted by planting dates, I have my list of which seeds to start this week:

Broccoli, Romanesco 
Pepper, Hinkelhatz (hot)
Pepper, Mini red bell (sweet)
Basil, Lettuce Leaf
Basil, Lime
Basil, Mrs Burn's Lemon
Basil, Purple Dark Opal
Bean, Sultan's Golden Cresent (snap) -[rare]
Bean, Sultan's Green Cresent (snap) -[rare]
Thyme
Tomato, Blondkopfchen (indeterminate)
Tomato, Current Sweet Pea (indeterminate)
Tomato, Ukrainian Purple (indeterminate)
Pepper, Bull Nose Bell (crisp sweet)
Dill, Bouquet

Over Easter weekend, I'll be visiting with my Grandparents and a couple of Aunts.  As I get ready to plant the seeds, I'm setting a few seeds of each type in some envelopes for gifts.  I used the cover of another seed catalog for the gift envelope.

Sprinkled the bottoms of take-out trays with cinnamon then poured in a thin layer of perlite.  Gently poured in warm water and let it all soak.

LittleMiss helped spread the seeds in the perlite.

Another layer of perlite, spritz, and covered.  

The lovely take-out trays are blending in nicely with the glass collection in window. While snapping the picture, my little assistance insisted that I include her garden too.  Thus, the can of crayons that she's growing has been added to the foreground.  In the background, you might get a glimpse of the take-out-box mini greenhouses.


Most everything that I've started so far are for containers & deck-level planting.
Next week will be most of the north hill side and the west hill side.


For the north hill we've got the three-sisters sprinkled with sunflowers and an end cap of butterfly weed.  Hoping for patches of sweetcorn to be used as trellising for sultan's crescent beans and the hillside to spill over with pumpkins.

 

For the west hill we've got all this planned, but haven't mapped it all out yet.


ooohhhh.... I'm very excited and can NOT wait for the snow to melt

No comments: